The majority of textbooks present an understanding of the world around us from a materialistic and evolutionary standpoint from which it is assumed that:
- The universe arose from the “big bang”;
- Life originated either through the formation of the simplest organisms from primordial chemicals or through microbial life arriving from space;
- All contemporary living things are modified descendants of a universal common ancestor;
- Biological evolution is the mechanism which explains the diversity of life on earth;
- Deep time is necessary for such processes to take place.
But how well established is this?